I first saw these on the Pioneer Woman’s page and was instantly inspired. Avocados! Bacon! Tomatoes! Really, what more could you ask for?
Cheese? You could probably ask for cheese. Go ahead and throw some of that on there, too, even though I didn’t.
Sadly, this may be out of my rotation for a while. As much as I love avocados, they’re crazy expensive right now. They jumped from $0.99 to $2.49 at my store in two weeks’ time! Ouch. I have faith that they’ll drop eventually, but since avocado growing season is over, it might be a minute.
If you’re looking for some time savers, I’d suggest cooking up a pound of bacon ahead of time. It will store nicely in the refrigerator and then you can just pull it out when you need it. Cooking the bacon is one of the most time consuming parts of this recipe, so if you have it ready it will speed things up significantly. You can also by bacon bits or pre-cooked bacon… but don’t. The real thing is worth it!
- 4 ripe avocados
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup croutons or make your own in the bacon grease
- 1 tbsp light mayonnaise
- Step 1 Cook the bacon until crisp, then crumble into bits.
- Step 2 Combine bacon bits, tomato, lettuce, and croutons in a large bowl. Add the mayonnaise and stir together.
- Step 3 Halve the avocados and add a generous spoonful of the BLT mixture into each half and serve.